If your ACAT has deemed you eligible for residential aged care the next step is to look for an appropriate residential aged care home. We are here to help you find an aged care home that is the right fit for you.
With many residences in most states across Australia its very likely there is an Opal Aged Care home in your area. Click here to search for one of our homes or use the search map on the right.
The first step could be to call us on 1300 362 481 to discuss your needs and find out what we have available in your area.
Applying to aged care homes
You may apply to as many aged care homes as you wish so that you have a range of potential options, but once you accept a place it is important to let all other aged care homes to which you applied know that you no longer require a place.
Visiting an aged care home
The best way to judge the home that will best suit you is to visit a range of homes. All aged care homes must provide a specified range of care and services to residents and should include:
- Team to provide help at all times including in emergency situations
- assistance with daily living activities such as bathing, showering, dressing and mobility
- assistance with medications
- meals and refreshments, taking into account special dietary needs
- basic furnishing including carpets, curtains, chairs, beds and bed linen, bath towels, face washers, soap and toilet paper
- a laundry service, cleaning services and maintenance of buildings and grounds
- individually tailored social and recreational activities
- emotional support
For those with a need for high level care, basic services will also include things such as
- continence aids
- basic medical and pharmaceutical supplies
- nursing services and therapy services
Checklist when visiting a home
If you, your family members or friends are able to visit some homes, it’s a good idea to write down your impressions of each home, together with the home’s name and contact details.
You may like to use this checklist to help you assess the suitability of the home for you.